Periorbital dark circles under eyes are not uncommon, but there are ways to reduce these dark circles. Here’s what to consider.
First of all, each of us has dark circles. Well, maybe not babies, but the rest of us do struggle with them on a daily basis. It is perfectly normal and there is nothing to be worried or ashamed about. True periorbital dark circles that appear underneath the eyes are mainly caused due to genetics.
Sometimes, they are caused due to excessive sun exposure, lack of sleep, bone structure, or puffy eyelids. The skin underneath the eyes is very thin which causes the capillaries under the eyes to peek through. It gives a darker appearance to your under eyes. A decreased hemoglobin can also intensify the look of dark circles.
Lifestyle Changes That Reduce Periorbital Dark Circles
Products alone cannot help your periorbital dark circles. You have to make a few lifestyle alterations such as:
- Aim at sleeping 8 hours a day. While sleeping, keep your head in an elevated position to prevent fluid retention.
- Use cold therapy to constrict blood vessels and get rid of puffiness.
- Always wear sunscreen when exposing yourself to harmful UV rays.
- Make sure to consume a healthy diet with loads of vitamins and minerals.
- Limit your screen time and give your eyes a break.
- Learn the lymph massage and do it regularly to drain the fluids that accumulate underneath your eyes.
NOTE: Some people have a bone structure that forms a shadow underneath the eye area, making it appear darker. In such cases, there is not much that can be done. Makeup is your best friend in this regard and some choose plastic surgery to fix it once and for all.
6 Essentials for Managing Periorbital Dark Circles
Here is a list of products that will help reduce under-eye darkness:
1. Brightening Anti-Puff Eye Mask
It is a bio-cellulose mask that works wonders for the eye contour area. The mask targets under eyes as well as crow’s feet. The advanced brightening formula is infused with plant extracts and peptides that change the look of your under-eyes when used regularly. As a result, you get brighter, less puffy, and visibly younger-looking eyes.
2. Eye Glow Serum
This serum has a high active antioxidant content that reverses the signs of aging. It boosts the collagen levels in your skin which tightens and firms the skin underneath your eyes. After continual use, your skin will appear brighter and more radiant. Use it at least twice a day for a couple of weeks to see the results.
3. Oligo-Protéines Marines Serum
This is a very unique product that contains bio-marine serum. It stimulates natural functions and leads to a brighter complexion and under-eye area. The Oligo-Protéines Marines Serum works impeccably well for stressed skin and adds a new life to it. Always apply it to clean skin with no traces of makeup.
4. Crème Contour des Yeux VIP O2
Crème Contour des Yeux VIP O2 is designed for people who have been struggling with dark circles for quite a while now. It treats tired skin and lightens the pigmentation around the eyes. You can apply the tiniest amount of the product to your upper and lower lids. Massage it in till it absorbs completely. You can certainly see a visible difference in about two weeks’ time frame.
5. Crème Contour Yeux et Lèvres Biofixine
If you struggle with wrinkles on your eyes along with periorbital dark circles, Crème Contour Yeux et Lèvres Biofixine is the multipurpose go-to product for you. Packed with hyaluronic acid and other active ingredients, it transforms the skin when used regularly. The product plumps up the fine lines, lifts the skin, and gives the smoothest under-eye ever. Bonus point, you can also apply it to your lips.
6. 100% Mineral Sunscreen Glow SPF 30
You cannot expect your dark circles to go away without protecting your skin from the harmful rays of the sun. 100% Mineral Sunscreen Glow SPF 30 is one of my top favorite sun protection products. It not only protects you but also gives you luminous coverage and antioxidant protection. The lightweight texture is suitable for the skin underneath the eyes as well. This is one of the most important steps if you wish to brighten the skin.
Last But Not Least, Vitamins to the Rescue
You cannot simply ignore your diet/health and expect products to work wonders for you. It is important to drink loads of water, eat whole foods and incorporate a little bit of exercise in your daily routine. Certain vitamins specifically target the under-eye darkness which are:
- Vitamin K: This vitamin works amazingly well to strengthen the capillaries that help with redness as well as dark circles. You can either use supplements or incorporate more foods that contain vitamin K. Great examples are spinach, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, swiss chard, parsley, romaine, and lettuce.
- Vitamin E: It is another powerful antioxidant that protects your body against free radicals. Lack of vitamin E can cause your under-eye area to thin gradually which shows the underlying veins. Some good natural resources are avocados, olives, and asparagus.
- Vitamin C: We all know the wonders of vitamin C for both our skin and immunity. It protects the body against inflammation while improving vascular elasticity. It helps with collagen synthesis and fights wrinkles. Some great sources include lemon, oranges, broccoli, kale, kiwi, potato, tomatoes, potato, and strawberries.
- Omega-3: It is not a vitamin, but rather a fatty acid that relaxes the blood vessels. You can get it through walnuts, sardines, mackerel, and salmon. Omega 3 is easily available as a supplement.
If you are bothered by periorbital dark circles, know that it is very common and there is nothing to be ashamed about. With the right lifestyle and topical products, one can minimize their appearance to a great extent. If you don’t feel a difference in the appearance of your dark circles post using all these tips and products, it is a good idea to reach out to a dermatologist.