As soon as summer rolls around the corner, we all want to achieve that bronzy glow. Spray tanning is one of the best ways to achieve a perfect tan without damaging your skin from harmful UV rays. Spray tans last longer than self-tanners and are much more convenient. However, to get the best results, you need to be fully aware of the process and steps you need to do before and after the tan.
The Perfect Tan Requires Some Trial and Error
Trial and error are essential when planning to get a spray tan for a particular event. Apart from finding a great spray tan artist and having a thorough conversation with them, you might need to go through trial and error to determine which DHA percentage is suited for you. If that is the case, always go for a trial tan at least two weeks before the event. Two weeks is the ultimate time for a tan to develop and then disappear to natural skin exfoliation.
Spray Tanning Products Are Clear in Their Pure Form
DHA is colorless in its purest form, but tanning salons add the bronzer into the solution. The natural color in the tanning ingredient DHA is clear. That is why brown tint products often stain your clothes and bedsheets. Most people don’t have this knowledge and end up explicitly looking for bronzy formulations that put you at risk of creating streaks. A product with clear color will help prevent these problems and give you a natural glow. Pay attention to how your skin reacts to a particular tan after your trial appointment before booking the next one.
Spray Tanning Packages Are All-Inclusive
Spray tans are suited for every single individual regardless of their skin tone. Tan is not only about getting darker, but it also essentially makes your skin look even, glowing, and healthy by adding a tinge of warmth to your complexion. It is all about getting that extra dose of confidence and glow.
Spray Tanning Tips for Optimal Results
Follow these tips, and you will surely love the results of your tan:
- Shave and exfoliate before. Exfoliating your skin before a spray tan will eliminate the dead, flaky skin and give you a smoother base for a spray tan. It also helps the tan to last longer. Do not skip this step if you don’t want your spray tan to come out streaky and blotchy. You can use any body scrub of your choice. Primarily focus on dry parts of your body such as knees, elbows, and ankles. While we are on exfoliation, shave your body, and you will thank yourself later.
- Avoid showering before. A lot of people make the mistake of showering just before the appointment. Please do not do it and shower at least four hours before your spray tan appointment. When you shower with warm or hot water, your pores become enlarged, causing the solution to sit in your pores, creating dark spots.
- Skip the makeup. If you are planning on tanning your face, make sure to come with a clean look and remove any makeup from your face. Your foundation will be a hindrance, and once you wash your face later, nearly all your tan will also wash off your face. If you forget to wash your face, you can also ask for wipes at the tanning center.
- Don’t wear deodorant or moisturizer. Both deodorant and moisturizer will act as a barrier to the spray tan solution. In some instances, it can give you patchy results. Avoid using a moisturizer before your appointment if you want an even tan.
- Wait 6-8 hours before showering. Say goodbye to this habit if you are used to taking a shower almost immediately after the tanning session. You must wait six to eight hours before taking a shower. Avoid shaving and exfoliating your skin for the first clean-up. Use a gentle body wash to clean your skin quickly and wash away with water. Your water might look a little middy due to the bronzy solution mixed into the spray tan. Don’t worry, as it won’t impact the overall outcome.
- Moisturize every day post-spray tanning. Make sure to moisturize your skin religiously to maintain the results of the tan. Please stay clear of oil-based moisturizers, though, as they have the potential to strip away the tan, leaving your skin blotchy. Look for water, cream, or gel-based moisturizers instead.
Spray Tanning Aftercare
Once you are done with the trial and error phase or finally found a spray tan artist you trust, the entire process becomes much easier and simpler. Make sure to take notes on your phone on what does and doesn’t work while you are still in the process: how long do you need to wait before taking a shower, what DHA percentage to use, which artist to go for etc. Once you land the perfect tan expert, they do all the work.
However, a perfect tan is a two-way street. You have to take suitable care measures or risk having skin issues. Make sure to exfoliate and shave before coming in for an appointment. Avoid putting lotions and oils on your body before the spray tan sessions, and wait for a minimum of 8 hours before taking a shower after your spray tan. If you stick to these tips and research finding the right tan expert, you will have the best tan ever.
We hope you found this post informative and helpful! What is your best and worst spray tan experience to date? Let us know in the comments section below. We would love to hear your stories.