If you’re a skincare fanatic like us, then you probably start your day with a thorough cleansing, a nourishing natural skin serum, and your favorite natural face cream or moisturizer for hydrated, glowing skin all day long. But are you using a toner? If you don’t have a toner at the ready, you’re potentially missing out on an important ingredient for radiant skin. Let’s take a closer look at this underrated essential and consider some of the surprising benefits your skin can reap from toner.
What Exactly Is Skin Toner?
A toner is a smooth, liquid-based, essential skincare product that uses botanicals, antioxidants, and other nutrients to open up the pores, moisturize the skin, and eliminate dead skin cells. It often looks thin and clear like water, but this unassuming solution is packed with nourishing ingredients.
Many women are leery about using toners because they recall when these solutions were harsh, heavily alcohol-based, and prone to drying out the skin. Thankfully, the painful acne-fighting toners of the past are just a distant memory, and today’s toners offer benefits that once seemed unimaginable. Whereas toners are used to dehydrate while harshly cleansing pores, high-end toners now moisturize and promote cell regeneration to restore the skin’s natural pH balance.
Understanding the Benefits of Skin Toner
A quality skin toner serves several important purposes, including:
- Removes dirt and oils from the skin.
- Removes any remaining traces of makeup.
- It eliminates dead skin cells and promotes cellular turnover.
- It helps to maintain the skin’s pH balance.
- It helps to moisturize dry skin.
- It helps to fight breakouts and other blemishes.
- It opens the pores and serves as a primer for cosmetics and other skincare products.
- It helps moisturizers and serums to penetrate more deeply and work more effectively.
- It helps to promote a radiant complexion that lasts all day.
- It helps to slow the signs of aging.
With benefits like these, it’s clear why toners should be a part of every skincare regimen!
When to Use Toner
To gain all the benefits possible from your skin toner, use immediately after you cleanse and exfoliate – but before you moisturize and apply any serums. Using a top-rated cleanser should always be the first step in any skincare routine. This eliminates the majority of dirt, oils, and bacteria found on the skin’s surface. Your toner will then take care of any lingering residue that’s left behind! If you use a daily exfoliating solution to remove dead skin, this should be your second step. Once again, your toner will finish the job and take care of the additional dead skin cells left behind after exfoliation.
To get the maximum skin toner benefits, consider purchasing an exfoliant/toner all-in-one product. Not only will this save you a step (a must-have for every busy woman’s minimalist skincare routine), but it will ensure that you’re best able to shed those stubborn layers of dull, dead skin. Once you’ve applied your exfoliant and your toner, you can safely apply your serums and moisturizer along with any additional skincare essentials and cosmetics. For best results, you should follow this skincare routine both in the morning and in the evening. If you have dehydrated skin, you may only want to use a toner in your evening routine.
How to Apply Toner
To get the maximum skin toner benefits, always use as directed. In most cases, you’re going to dampen a clean cotton swab with your chosen toner and then apply it gently to the face, neck, and decollete areas. Do this within one minute of applying your cleanser or moisturizer. If you’re using a spray-on toner, mist it gently over your face and neck. No matter which luxury skincare product you choose, avoid over-applying – less is more with this product!
How to Choose a Toner
It’s one thing to recognize the potential toner benefits; the trick is finding a toner that actually offers these benefits and works for your unique skin type! When choosing a toner, consider the following:
- The toner should have a hydrating formula (be cautious of alcohol-based toners, especially if you have oily skin).
- Water should always be the first ingredient.
- The toner should consist of natural, plant-derived botanicals proven to benefit the skin; possible plant-based ingredients include witch hazel, grapefruit seed extract, and horseradish root extract.
- Avoid toners that contain the kinds of harsh ingredients commonly found in soaps, like sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Always choose trusted brands. Consider the company’s history and reputation. For example, Biologique Recherche is one of the most trusted providers of toners/exfoliators because they’ve been developing medical-grade skin care solutions for over four decades. The company was founded by a biologist, a physiotherapist, and a doctor, and they continue to put tremendous care into developing and improving clinically formulated solutions that truly work.
As previously noted, the best skin toners offer multiple benefits, including exfoliation. If you’re looking for a toner that hydrates, exfoliates, and rejuvenates, one of the best options to come from a luxury brand is Lotion P50W. One of the newest additions to Biologique Recherche’s world-famous Lotion P50 collection, P50W is specially formulated with a host of naturally derived active ingredients to help exfoliate and moisturize the skin – all in one step! It’s easy-to-apply, and the difference can be felt and seen almost immediately.
Discover Skin Toner’s Life-Changing, Long-Lasting Results
If you want to keep your skin soft, youthful, and radiant, a quality toner should absolutely be part of your skincare arsenal. Add one to your morning and evening routine, and experience the difference for yourself!